DANC 1200R, Modern Dance I
A beginning modern dance technique course for students with an emphasis in dance and for all students interested in developing skills in modern dance. It is designed to introduce basic modern dance movements and an understanding of and an appreciation for modern dance. Students who successfully complete this course will have beginning modern dance skills and be prepared to enroll in DANCE 2200. This course is a prerequisite to DANCE 2200.
Course Learning Objectives
- Recall foundational knowledge of modern dance vocabulary, technique, and related history.
- Perform beginning modern dance exercises with proper placement, anatomical alignment, body awareness, connectivity, and coordination of body parts in class and on stage.
- Perform beginning modern dance exercises with artistic expression in class and on stage.
- Perform improvisation and composition studies that demonstrate an understanding of time, space, and energy as the elements of dance.
- Acquire skills of responsibility and Grit as they relate to a career in the dance field.
- Contribute insights to discussion related to the discourse of dance.