DANC 1201R, Modern Dance I (For Majors)
This course is designed for first year dance majors and focuses on fundamental skills in modern dance technique. Emphasis is placed on the development of strength, flexibility, core support, coordination, kinesthetic awareness, and movement expressiveness. The course serves as a foundation for continued modern dance studies throughout the dance major technique curriculum.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Recall foundational knowledge of modern dance vocabulary, technique, and related history.
- Perform beginning modern dance exercises with proper placement, anatomical alignment, body awareness, connectivity, and coordination of body parts in class and on stage.
- Perform beginning modern dance exercises with artistic expression in class and on stage.
- Perform improvisation and composition studies that demonstrate an understanding of time, space, and energy as the elements of dance.
- Acquire skills of responsibility and Grit as they relate to a career in the dance field.
- Contribute insights to discussion related to the discourse of dance.