DANC 1520, World Dance I
For students with an emphasis in dance, and for all students interested in developing skills of International ethnic/folk dance. This course is designed to introduce students to dance styles from around the world. Students will learn standard steps and formations used in a variety of dances and have fun while doing it. Students who successfully complete this course will have a good knowledge of beginning level of International world dance. There are no prerequisites.
Course Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate dance skills at a beginning level for a select, pre-determined "world" dance.
- Examine and discuss the historical, cultural, and sociopolitical implications of the featured "world" dance.
- Examine and describe use of time/space/energy in the selected "world" dance.
- Demonstrate rhythmical and musical awareness pertinent to the selected "world" dance.
- Describe and discuss cultural diversity in dance on a global level.