DANC 3710, Dance in a Cultural Perspective (For Majors)
This course utilizes the medium of dance as a means to explore various cultures throughout both history and the world. Focus is placed on universal functions of human movement as well as the diversity of expression found in cultures from early tribal through the Renaissance period in western civilization as well as dance at its present status in a variety of non-western cultures.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of the development of dance on a global scale from early tribal cultures through contemporary society.
- Examine and communicate critically about dance forms originating from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Analyze topics related to dance, culture, social issues, etc. through writing and class discussions while acknowledging one's own ethnocentric perspective.
- Critically assess how labels, words, and other media representations shape media.
- Analyze and synthesize scholarly sources to formulate a research question/thesis statement and write an analytical research paper utilizing MLA format.