(3.0 Credits) Course Description This course provides students with faculty mentorship as they create a dance piece for the DSU Dance Concert. It also serves to demonstrate a synthesis of the skills and knowledge developed in the BA/BS degree in dance regarding choreographic craft and the application of costume/lighting design concepts. Emphasis is placed on preparation and professionalism in the rehearsal process, ongoing documentation and discussions with a faculty mentor, the finished choreographed work, as well as a Project Assessment Paper and Oral Defense of the dance with faculty. Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the choreographic process as creative research from artistic stimulus to finished product.
- Document and assess personal efforts in dance choreography through journal entries, video recording, discussion, and written reflective analysis.
- Design and conduct rehearsals with peers in a professional manner outside of regular course meeting time, including technical rehearsals.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate one’s artistic vision to production designers, directors, and other possible collaborators.
- Create a well constructed and well rehearsed work of choreography that clearly communicates an artistic intent.
- Communicate constructively and justify artistic choices to faculty advisors.