DSU Dance Department Hosts Red Rock Dance Festival
Monday, July 16th, 2018
Featured resident performances by professional dance companies have included Repertory Dance Theater in 2016, Paul Taylor 2 in 2017 and SALT Contemporary Dance from Salt Lake City and SAMPLEDANCE from Las Vegas in 2018. Performances are open to the public.
Participants of the Festival work intimately with the resident dance companies as well as other esteemed guest dance artists on developing and exploring ideas in dance. Workshops offered include modern technique, ballet, repertory, improvisation, composition and partnering. Ages 16 through adult are welcome to attend.
The Red Rock Dance Festival also provides a 3-day junior workshop for ages 9-15 and offers one full-ride scholarship to each dance school or studio in southern Utah.
In addition to the resident companies’ performances, the Choreography Showcase is held at the DSU Mainstage Theater. Choreographers are encouraged to submit their work and receive feedback from well-known professionals in the field. Choreographers are primarily from western and southwestern states and are made up of a broad range of experience from university faculty to emerging artists that are just entering the field.
The dance pieces submitted by choreographers are adjudicated by dance experts. Some past adjudicators include:
- Daniel Charon, Artistic Director of Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company.
- Greg Sample, founder of Sample Dance and former dancer for Céline Dion, Cirque de Soleil, Phantom and Hubbard Street
- Michelle Nielsen, Artistic Director of SALT Contemporary Dance, former dance faculty at BYU.
- Ruth Andrien, rehearsal director of the Paul Taylor 2 Dance Company
- Rachel Berman, performed principal roles and appeared in numerous television productions with the Paul Taylor Dance Company and was the March 1997 cover story for Dance Magazine.
- Linda Smith, former dancer for José Limón and current artistic director of the Repertory Dance Theater
- Charlotte Boye-Christensen the founder and director of NOW-ID and former artistic director of Ririe –Woodbury Dance Company
- John Corsa, former dancer with Momix, Diavolo, Parsons Dance and principle role in Twyla Tharp’s musical Movin’ Out.
To participate in the Festival, register for dance workshops or simply purchase tickets to attend performances visit RedRockDanceFestival.com or call Summer Robertson at 435-773-1221.